- 140g dried pitted whole date, preferably Medjool, chopped into small pieces
- consistency will be slightly different and you may want to adjust your quantities of sugar)
- 75g black treacle
- 50g maple syrup
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 large egg or two egg whites
- 175ml buttermilk
- 250g plain flower
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g dark muscovado sugar
75ml prescription MCT oil, plus a few drops for greasing (can be replaced with apple puree - the
If you can wait, wrap it well in parchment, then foil. Leave for a day before cutting, as it will become stickier.
This cake will keep moist for 3-4 days.